How to clean a flat iron?
The buildup that occurs on your flat irons can occur from a range of products such as residue from conditioners, shampoos or oils or styling products. This build-up is quite bad for your flat iron and it can end up damaging your hair by causing split ends and breakage. Apart from causing hair damage, this buildup can also look extremely unsightly and can also cause uneven heating as well as incomplete straightening. Cleaning your flat irons might be a wee bit difficult because of their V shapes, but you can follow these simple steps to clean away the build-up and make sure that you are able to maintain a clean flat iron.
Things you need –
– Soft cloth
– Cleansing solution
Step 1 – Heat the flat iron and allow it to cool a bit. The idea is to make sure that the flat iron is warm and not too hot.
Step 2 – Unplug the flat iron before you begin the cleaning process.
Step 3 – Dampen a terry cloth towel in warm water. You need to make sure that the water is warm and not hot or cold. All you need to do is dip the water in warm water and clean the ceramic plates lightly. Make sure that you don’t end up scratching these plates.
Step 4 – Wipe the plates thoroughly. Make sure that you scrub the plates till you manage to remove the grime completely. You can use cotton buds to get to the areas which cannot be reached with a towel.
Step 5 – Remove the residue from the edges and sides. You can use a fresh towel as well.
Step 6 – Dry your flat iron. Make sure that you thoroughly dry the flat iron. It should not be wet in any circumstance as a wet flat iron can fry your hair.
Tips and advice for cleaning flat irons
– It is important to clean the flat iron on a regular basis. All one needs to do is wipe off the flat iron with a paper towel or a cloth to make sure that the buildup does not accumulate on the flat iron.
– The heated surface that the flat iron is made up of is made using various materials. It is important for you to ensure that the cleaning product being used by you is safe to use.
– Make sure that you do not submerge a flat iron in water, as it can permanently damage your flat iron.
– An oven mitt works well to protect your hands from the heat while cleaning a flat iron.
– You might find a little bit of smoking and odor issues on your flat iron after cleaning. There is nothing to worry about as this is normally due to the residue that is left on your flat iron after cleaning. This residue should dissipate within a few minutes and your flat iron should function normally.